Sunday, April 6, 2014

Farmer's Market Meal

The earliest Farmer's Market to open was this first Saturday in April at the Sedgwick County Extension office at 21st and N. Ridge Rd.  It was cold and windy, but we went anyway, looking for anything that I am not growing for myself in the greenhouse.  Al was drawn to the garden gewgaws, and I had to talk him out of buying a metal sculpture of a sunflower that was eight feet high and weighed about 500 pounds!  While he studied garden gnomes, I took a spin around the stalls, assessing the goods, warding off taste samples.  Al ate everything they offered!  It was like taking a five-year-old to the fair!  I bought him a bag of coffee almond toffee, then let him pick out some meat from the lamb vendor.  For myself, I bought a package of Swiss Chard and one tomato. 

These tomatoes were perfect, absolutely blemish free, gorgeous red, plump and not too big, not too small.  I was immediately suspicious of how they would taste!  Afraid it would be mealy and like cardboard, I bought only the one.  Boy, was I sorry!

Combining our goods from the market with greens from the garden, and an extra egg for Al, I cooked us a late lunch.  The chops were TDF, so tender and flavorful.  So glad I bought four packages.  Al was only going to get one!  I said you have to buy organic meat when you can find it.

Wow, just look at that salad below.  The cuke and cheese (I baked a frico) are from the grocery store.  The lettuce, spinach, onion, and carrot are from the greenhouse, and that chopped tomato is from the Farmer's Market.  It was SO GOOD!

Then there is the beautiful Swiss Chard that we had with brown rice, onions, and the lamb chops.  Gorgeous!


No comments: