Friday, August 22, 2008

Cucumber, Onion, Tomato Salad

Dear Mom and Dad,
A client gave us three, small cucumbers, so I peeled them, cut off their ends and tasted each for bitterness. I found one bitter end, but the rest of the cucumber seemed fine. I sliced those. From my garden, I pulled onions. They are two years old, though the biggest was only about the size of a golf ball. I used five of these small onions. I sliced them thinly, not paper thin, but thinly, broke them into rings and added them to the cucumbers. Also, from the Brandywine tomato plants, still bearing perfect fruit like there's no tomorrow, I picked three, fat, juicy, red ones, cut them into chunks and tossed them into the bowl with the cucumbers and onions. After that I drizzled red wine vinegar over everything, then stirred it up. I filled the bowl with filtered water until it just covered all the chopped vegetables, then added more red wine vinegar until I liked the taste. Last, I salted it all, peppered it and stirred again. It's in my refrigerator, now, soaking. Should be ready by tomorrow. If you two go to church on Sunday, bring a plastic container with you, and I'll share enough out for you to have with your lunch.

Love, your daughter.

No comments: