Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Recipe: Pork Chops

I get to do the meat dish for RheinWood Hearth's feast on Friday. Because we're also having potatoes, I found this slow cooker recipe for pork chops that sounds perfect to serve with taters. I can't wait to try it, and I'll let you know how it goes.

From Paula: Shortly after my husband and I began dating, I prepared the following dish. It was the first meal I'd cooked for him. He told me later that he knew as soon as he tasted those pork chops that he was going to marry me....

Ingredients:
4 to 6 pork chops, bone-in or boneless
flour
salt and pepper
1/4 cup oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 cubes or equivalent chicken boullion granules or base
2 cups hot water
8 oz. sour cream (fat free is okay)

Preparation: Season pork chops to taste and dredge in flour. Lightly brown in oil and place in slow cooker; top with onion slices. Dissolve or soften boullion in hot water and pour over chops. Cook on low 7-8 hours. After the pork chops have cooked, stir 2 tablespoons flour into the sour cream; stir into cooking juices. (It is not necessary for this to be totally blended into boullion, but don't just dump it on top either.) Turn slow cooker to high for 15-30 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened. Serve with rice, noodles or potatoes as you choose. The sour cream sauce is delicious! Serves 4 to 6.

1 comment:

Morning Angel said...

I tried these on a small scale. It was really good, but I thought the texture of the chops could be improved, and there was something missing to the flavor.

To adjust for tonight, I marinated the chops in honey and tenderizing salt for a couple hours before browning them. We shall see.