Thursday, June 5, 2008

FSM

I've been reading The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (GFSM) by Bobby Henderson. It's chockfull of quotable statements, and it's been a test of my willpower not to blog on it incessantly. If I don't put up at least one GFSM excerpt, though, I'll go mad! So here's from a section called A Guide to the Holidays (Pastafarian refers to a member of the Church of the FSM):

"HOLIDAY encompasses pretty much all of the big commercial holidays celebrated by the other religions. Holiday stretches over most of December and January, and it is interesting to consider how much this Pastafarian religion has spread over the last couple of years. In fact, many schools and businesses refer not to the "Christmas season," but to the Pastafarian "Holiday season" instead. This is strong evidence of our rapid growth, and we feel that a special thanks should go out to Wal-Mart, who rejected the Christian phrase "Merry Christmas" in favor of the Pastafarian greeting "Happy Holidays." We appreciate your support."


editorial note 1: I was going to title this blog Gospel, but backed off that idea because I was afraid of what kind of ads Goggleads might start putting up on my site. You can't be too careful these days. All kinds of nutcakes out there.


editorial note 2: I had to look up how to spell chockfull.

No comments: